Why do fireflies glow?

Because they are trying to attract a mate or because they are avoiding predators. Males and females flash back at each other. Predators avoid fireflies because they taste yucky and don't forget what that flashing light means.
The actual compound that causes the light is called luciferin. There are over 2,000 species of the firefly around the world.
I can remember pulling the glowy part off and wearing it as a ring when I was a kid. I was so cruel (I'm sure that kinda stuff still goes on today). And I can also remember the distinctive smell they have too. It was a big thing on summer nights running all over the yard, catching fireflies and putting them in Mason jars.


~Hippie Cat

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati